Tuesday, June 14, 2011

second date country

i walk through fields of fun and get through sticky wickets without so much as a hand in the small of my back. shop for veggies for one and freeze the leftovers, turn up to gigs and find my lovelies already at the roundest table with a chair for me. watch my favourite couples reach for each other on the beach, and feel happy.

it's in second date country that i feel the lonely. even with the wine and cheese and the dancing and the romancing and the sea just there. i see a protective film slide over his eyelids and my heart hardens in reply. the room is full of ex-girlfriends. i want to disappear into the guardian and find soft things there but it's all boredom and disaster, so reading the science of my own heart i get in the family wagon and drive home with Local and/or General for company.

it's a wonder that the people they find each other at all.




1 comment:

  1. 'The room is full of ex-girlfriends.'

    Oh my god, so beautiful! And familiar ...

    ReplyDelete